To describe our growing up in the lowcountry of South Carolina, I would have to take you to the marsh on a spring day, flush the great blue heron from its silent occupation, scatter marsh hens as we sink to our knees in mud, open an oyster with a pocketknife and feed it to you from the shell and say, 'There. That taste. That's the taste of my childhood.' - Pat Conroy

September 18, 2015

I'm off to the Big Apple! | Introducing Sunshine & Rain


Don't you just love a scheduled blog post?
You see, I have written this blog post on Wednesday, and here we are on Friday.
While you're reading this I am most likely in a plane to New York or have landed and am now soaking up the city or eating a Juniors cheesecake in midtown.

It's all about those big apple vacation priorities, am I right?!


Did you know that New York Fashion Week ended last night?
We missed it by one day...planning fail!



With that being said, I have a guest blogger, so without further adieu...


I am so excited for this opportunity to share a post on Miranda’s blog.  It is always so much fun to meet and collaborate with other writers!  My name is Andrea Beam and I am from Greenville, South Carolina.  I am a school teacher and currently working to complete my degree in Health Science and Occupational Therapy.  However, my passion in life is writing!  You can read my ramblings at Sunshine & Rain.  I have a nine year old son named JP.  I adopted him from Guatemala and he is the love of my life!  God has blessed me with a wonderful, loving family and amazing friends.  Over the past few years, I have learned the hard way that this life does not belong to me.  It is on loan from God, and He is daily teaching me to slow down, breathe and listen to His voice!  Stop, Drop & Roll!

Andrea of Sunshine & Rain and her son JP


"Whoever is patient has great understanding, but one who is quick-tempered displays folly."Proverbs 14:29


If you have come here looking for an article on fire safety, you're out of luck! However, what I am going to write about can be just as dangerous.
Nobody I know wakes up in the morning thinking, "Boy, I hope this is a terrible day!" That would be crazy. Unfortunately, whether you wake up wishing for it or not, it happens. You spill your coffee on your lap while trying to get out of your car, or maybe you have an argument with your spouse before leaving home, traffic gets backed up and you end up running late to work. While these events are certainly trivial in the grand scheme of things, they cause just enough of a headache to steer your day into the wrong lane of the emotional highway!

I had one of these days yesterday. By the time I walked through my front door, I was DONE. All I wanted to do was change my clothes, crawl into my bed and go to sleep! I was short-tempered with my husband, and impatient with my child. I was NOT fun to be around. A personal time-out is rarely an option, so I had to adjust my disposition quickly, or I was going to cause a crash!

Enter Holy Spirit. It was at this time that God gently reminded me that I am not on my own. He is the creator of our emotions, therefore He wants to help us control them. He gave me the following three steps to follow:
STOP what you're doing and pray. God wants us to ask for His help when we are helpless and unable to control our feelings.

DROP your attitude! This is the dangerous part...poor attitudes only hurt ourselves and those around us.

Roll with the Holy Spirit! Put things back into perspective and allow the Holy Spirit to guide your thoughts and actions back in to righteousness!


After practicing these strategies, it made the world of difference in my day. We, as humans, are naturally selfish, self-centered creatures. We must remind ourselves on a daily basis that this life is truly NOT about us!


Next time you need assistance maneuvering back into the right lane, STOP, DROP & ROLL!!



Thanks Andrea for taking the reigns at Life in the Lowcountry while I'm out strutting those New York City sidewalks with my sister!

See you lovelies on Monday!

xo

No comments

Post a Comment

I love reading all your comments just make sure that you are not a no-reply blogger so I can respond!

Life in the Lowcountry ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © Revel and Design - Powered by Blogger