To describe our growing up in the lowcountry of South Carolina, I would have to take you to the marsh on a spring day, flush the great blue heron from its silent occupation, scatter marsh hens as we sink to our knees in mud, open an oyster with a pocketknife and feed it to you from the shell and say, 'There. That taste. That's the taste of my childhood.' - Pat Conroy

July 24, 2013

A Picture Worth 1000 Words (Prayers Needed)



 
 
Yesterday afternoon my dad called me and invited us over for dinner. Of course I said yes, because who can ever pass up Lowcountry Boil? {For those who don't know, it's shrimp, corn, and sausage, it's a Lowcountry favorite and a southern staple, not to mention delicious}
 
An hour passed after the phone call and it was off work for this gal. As soon as I backed out of my parking spot, my husband called me, he began the phone call with, "Don't freak out..."
 
I'm not sure why, but those 3 little words do the exact opposite to me, than what they state to do, because my mind starts racing a mile a minute and I come up with 100 different nightmares in my mind. Daughter is sick, daughter broke her arm, daughter is bleeding, daughter cut her finger off, they got in a car wreck, one of my siblings is hurt, mom's breathing is bad and she's getting rushed to the ER. Within those mere seconds between "Don't freak out, and him explaining what's going on, I literally had 100 terrible thoughts, and sure enough I was right on one of them.
 
As mentioned before my mother has severe COPD, Emphysema, and Chronic Bronchitis. Which is basically where she has to do breathing treatments every 3 hours of her life, excluding sleeping, and is on medications that equal to $800 per month. She has her good days and her bad days, and yesterday was an awful day.
 
Once my husband told me those words, he said that within 45 minutes mom was fine, and then she wasn't. She was gasping for air and my dad, along with his sister  and brother-in-law (my aunt and uncle) rushed her to the hospital. They admitted her right away, and she is now in the hospital.
 
We live one hour away from the hospital. I work 30 minutes away from the hospital, so as soon as the hubs called me I went straight there and even beat them there. I helped my mom out of the car and into the wheelchair and got her all checked in, along with my dad. My aunt and uncle waited in the waiting room on the rest of our family members to get there.
 
Prayers are needed for our family. You never know with this disease if it's going to progress into something worse. Last year, it literally put her on her death bed, through prayers and the help of the doctors she survived. I remember going to work that day while she was in the hospital, in a regular room getting treatment, and then that phone call, calling in all family members to say our goodbyes.
 
It was by far one of the worst days of my life. Thankfully she pulled through, and here we are again.
I pray it doesn't get near as bad as it did last year. I pray the doctors and nurses and staff can help ease her pain and anxiety and breathing. I pray for my dad because I can't imagine the pain he is felling.
 
They have been married for 46 years. For 46 years he has loved this woman, been by her side, and never left it, last night was a prime example. I snapped this picture, and it says it all.
 
 
For those that do not believe in soul-mates, well they obviously have never met my parents. They may bicker and argue. Fuss and fight, but they also love unconditionally, for better for worse, and in sickness and in health. People today who take marriage so lightly, should take a lesson from these two. I sure do. The days when I look at my husband and feel like strangling him or leaving, I remember that is not how I was raised, I take a breath, and then think of my parents.
 
 
 
 

2 comments

  1. Prayers going up for you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AnonymousJuly 24, 2013

    Praying for your mom & sending positive thoughts your way.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading all your comments just make sure that you are not a no-reply blogger so I can respond!

Life in the Lowcountry ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © Revel and Design - Powered by Blogger