To describe our growing up in the lowcountry of South Carolina, I would have to take you to the marsh on a spring day, flush the great blue heron from its silent occupation, scatter marsh hens as we sink to our knees in mud, open an oyster with a pocketknife and feed it to you from the shell and say, 'There. That taste. That's the taste of my childhood.' - Pat Conroy

July 2, 2013

Stuck in a food rut



For the past few years now it seems as if my little family has been stuck in the same little food rut.
Every thing we eat has become so routine and it's like a weekly schedule.
 
Spaghetti
Beef Stew
Lasagna
Fried Chicken Strips
Fried Porkchops
...and of course, our night out at our local Mexican restaurant.
 
I'm over it!
 
Last night I made a fresh arugula salad with romaine, tossed with some fresh red onions and some Olive Garden vinaigrette dressing (yes, they sell it in stores now!) and topped with some croutons and grilled chicken. Si délicieux!
 
 
It was such a nice, delicious, refreshing change that I am hell bent to start making different items, which leads me to Pinterest.
 
 
Crockpot Lemon Chicken - Put 1 Stick of butter in bottom of crock pot. Lay chicken in pot. Sprinkle Italian dressing packet over chicken, drizzle with lemon juice, pop the lid on. Cook on High 4-5 hours, or Low 6-8 hours.
Crockpot Lemon Chicken
 
 
Taco Pie
 
 
Toasted Raviloi and Cheesy Marinara Dipping Sauce
Fried Ravioli


Spicy Baked Shrimp -  1/2 cup olive oil 2 tablespoons Cajun or Creole seasoning 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley 1 tablespoon honey 1 tablespoon soy sauce Pinch of cayenne pepper 1 pound uncooked large shrimp, shelled, deveined
Spicy Baked Shrimp
Fettuccine Soup w/Shrimp
Fettuccini with Shrimp
 
I am going to try and incorporate some of these dishes into our routine, a little by little I think we'll start dreaming up new dishes weekly.
 
Who knows, you may see me on Chopped one day..?
 
**********
 
Today is my Thursday, as I'm sure it is for most of you. So happy about that. We have no concrete plans for the 4th yet, but I'm sure fireworks are on the agenda.
 
Here is my go to 4th of July song, it screams "Summer is officially here!"
 


 
Songs, in my opinion, just don't get better than this!
 
xo
 
 

No comments

Post a Comment

I love reading all your comments just make sure that you are not a no-reply blogger so I can respond!

Life in the Lowcountry ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © Revel and Design - Powered by Blogger