To describe our growing up in the lowcountry of South Carolina, I would have to take you to the marsh on a spring day, flush the great blue heron from its silent occupation, scatter marsh hens as we sink to our knees in mud, open an oyster with a pocketknife and feed it to you from the shell and say, 'There. That taste. That's the taste of my childhood.' - Pat Conroy

February 7, 2014

Five on Friday (Real Talk!)


Hey lovelies I'm finally feeling better and on the mend from my head cold so today I'm back to blogging and I 'm linking up with the usual ladies for today's Five on Friday post, trust me, you won't want to miss reading this one as I am keeping it real today. Yes this post is long, but I'm not sugar coating my life, remember, I'm keeping it real!


Grab button for FIVE ON FRIDAY AT THE GOOD LIFE BLOG

one.

This morning I woke up and had a couple extra minutes to spare so I headed on over to the laundry room and decided to do a little laundry prior to heading off to work. Well, let's just say that my day got green real quick. I opened the dryer door and all I saw was green. I realize that St. Patrick's Day is coming up, but wow, it was just too much. The worst part about this is the fact that I just pulled all of my spring/summer clothes out of storage to go ahead and wash and fold, that way when it warms up I have something to wear, so 90% of the clothes in the dryer were all of my warm weather clothes and they are now ruined due to a green crayon that melted all over them. :(

I get that it was an accident for a crayon to somehow appear in my dryer. I'm assuming that Cadence shoved it in her pocket some time throughout the day and forgot to take it out that night. I can't lie and say that I wasn't angry with her, because I was. (Remember, I'm keeping it real!) All I did was cry. I sat on the laundry room floor and just cried. We are not the type of people who can go and drop money on a new wardrobe anytime we please. We live on a very tight budget along with the rest of the world, so the fact that all of my warm weather clothes are now ruined, hurt. I didn't yell, I didn't scream, however I did scold her with a firm tone just reminding her that from this point forward, we have to be careful of what we put in our pockets, because sometimes I miss checking the pockets for items when I do laundry.

To add insult to injury, Tarl was no help. Instead of hearing his consoling words and what I wanted to hear (for instance: it's okay, I'll help buy you some new clothes for Spring, or it's okay, it's just an accident and we'll figure it out) I heard, I can't believe you're crying, it's just clothes, get over it. (Remember, I'm keeping it real!)

Let me state for the record that I have a very sweet husband, however, neither one of us are morning people and sometimes our words get away from us. We both left this morning on a bad note, angry with one another, upset. I felt like a terrible mother, our marriage was horrible, and penniless. Did I overreact?
Yes. Are they just clothes? Yes. Does it still hurt? Yes.

I've now cooled off, realized that they are just clothes, and little by little I'll get back a warm weather wardrobe. So if you see me wear the same two shorts all summer, no judgement, just remember this post!

two.

Tarl and I have been arguing lately. Like every marriage we have our ups and we have our downs. All of our arguments are so pointless and are over absolutely nothing. It all stems from his poor choice in words and my over-reacting to things. We are both stubborn, both think we are right, and both madly in love with each other, that's the great thing about our love, it truly never fails us. Even during a knock down drag out fight, the passion and love we have for each other is still there...I sure do love that man.

I know every marriage has it's good times and it's bad times. We are blessed that our good times out weight our bad. To hear that a couple never argues truly astonishes me. It's the struggles in life that make a marriage and that bond two people. If they can get through rough weather, they can last a lifetime together!

(Remember, I'm keeping it real!)

three.

I truly think a lot of the animosity right now is the fact that we have major cabin fever. The cold weather has kept us inside more than usual. We always try to get away this time of year, but with Cadence starting school, that just isn't a possibility and will have to wait until Summer. Mix in the cold weather and we're stuck inside the house. It's enough to make any person crazy and bored. Sometimes I'll start an argument just for the fact that it's something to do. Sounds crazy, right?!

I'm beyond ready for warmer weather. Enough to get us outside and in shorts, the shorts may be green, but they are shorts none-the-less!

This leads me to #4!

four.

SUNSHINE ON MY MIND! Yes! It's been on my mind for weeks. This cold weather is for the birds, not for me. I'm a South Carolina lowcountry native! I'd rather drink sweet tea, not coffee. I'd rather wear flip flops over boots and I'd much rather wear a tank top than a puffer vest. When I think of summer I think of three things, sunshine, swimming and summer vacations, so why not have a link up to bring up those wonderful memories and feelings of a vacation?

I came up with this idea while laying in bed the other night. How fun to link up and share your upcoming vacation plans for the year. Don't have plans? No worries, link up and tell us what your dream vacation would be if you had the opportunity to go somewhere, anywhere! Have you already been on vacation? If so, Lauren (Peach State of Mind) and I want to hear all about it!




The link up will start on Monday, the 10th, and will last one whole week so be sure and share your summer vacation dreams, plans or past memories! We can't wait to hear all about it!

five.

It's Friday and I may or may not be having a cocktail when I get off work today, remember I'm keeping it real!



xo


2 comments

  1. I love that you keep it real! I would absolutely melt down over those clothes getting ruined, as a girl with very few options herself I completely understand. Have two cocktails tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait for our awesome link-up! You had a fabulous idea! Keep it real girl. You reminded me that I might need to do a complain session soon. Thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love reading all your comments just make sure that you are not a no-reply blogger so I can respond!

Life in the Lowcountry ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © Revel and Design - Powered by Blogger