To describe our growing up in the lowcountry of South Carolina, I would have to take you to the marsh on a spring day, flush the great blue heron from its silent occupation, scatter marsh hens as we sink to our knees in mud, open an oyster with a pocketknife and feed it to you from the shell and say, 'There. That taste. That's the taste of my childhood.' - Pat Conroy

February 14, 2014

Liebster Award...again

This is my third Liebster Award, and this one is from the lovely Lauren over at Peach State of Mind.



Here's how it works in case you didn't know...

The Liebster Award is a way for bloggers to celebrate other bloggers. It's passed down from one blogger to another, as long as the blogger has less than 200 followers. If you choose to accept the nomination, here are a few rules to follow:

1.  Answer the questions from the person who nominated you.
2. List 10 facts about yourself.
3. Create 10 new questions.
4. Nominate 5-10 bloggers with less than 200 followers.


Without further ado, here are the questions from Lauren:


1. If you were a crayon, what color would you be?
[Hey, it's the teacher in me.]


Bubblegum pink all day, every day. Seriously, as pathetic as it sounds, when Cadence and I color together, she grabs the hot pink and I grab the bubblegum pink. By the time we're done with our pictures, it looks like Pepto Bismol exploded all over the page!

All my prom dresses were  pink. Even my wedding dress had pink in it...it's just who I am.

2. What is your favorite smell?


Christmas trees. There is nothing like the smell of that fresh pine and sap that lingers around your home during the Christmas season. I even burn my Christmas tree scented candles year round.

3. What is the farthest you've been from home?


I'm not going to map it out to give you the exact mileage, but here are some places I've been, and you take a guess on the farthest:

Key West
Cozumel
Grand Cayman
Nassau, Bahamas
Freeport, Bahamas
Kentucky
North Carolina
Georgia
Alabama
Indiana
Tennessee


4. Do you have a special talent? If so, what is it?


I'd love to say playing the guitar or the drums, because there is something so bad ass about a girl who can play instruments like that, unfortunately other than the air guitar, I have no musical talent what-so-ever...although I'm not published in any books, some of my writings have been in local papers, and I have won some awards for my writing, so ultimately writing is my passion.

5. Who is your best friend? How did y'all meet?


Not including my sisters, I'd have to say my bestie is Emily. I am saying bestie because I know how much she despises that word, and I love to aggravate her :)

Emily and I, believe it or not, were not crazy about meeting one another. My boyfriend (now husband) and her boyfriend (now husband) were/and still are best friends. They were each other's best men as well. It was inevitable that we had to meet and both of us did a lot of trash talking to our significant others about one another...looking back I'm sure Tarl was sick of hearing how stuck up Emily was, and I'm sure Daniel was sick and tired of hearing how much of a prude I was. Well it came time, and we hit it off. The one thing I love about Emily is the honesty that we share in our friendship. If we are ever angry at one another, we do not keep it in, or talk badly about each other. We go straight to one another and say, "hey, you pissed me off when..."

Not many friendships can be honest like that. If I don't like the shirt she's wearing I'm going to call her out on it. If my hair looks like shit, you bet your ass she's going to tell me, and I freaking love her for it. These types of friendships are hard to come by.

6. Do you have any pets?


Hector the cat. We did not want any pets, especially a cat. We are not cat people by any means of the word, but lo and behold my dad brought Cadence a cat, without asking us first, God love that man!

Needless to say, we all now have a soft spot for "hecky".

7. What is your favorite sport to watch?


Growing up I always had a thing for boys that played baseball. Tarl played baseball, and I love(d) softball. I'm not a huge sports fan, but at the end of the day I love to watch Gamecock baseball!

8. What is your favorite fashion accessory right now?


Hair, is always a womans best accessory, always. You can have on holy shorts and a beat up t-shirt, but if your hair is done, you look fantastic...this is true!

9. Why did you start blogging?


I used to have a blog way back in the day. I had a good amount of followers, blogged daily, and absolutely loved it. Within one day my world came crashing down when my mother unexpectedly got put in the hospital on her death bed. Thank The Good Lord he wasn't quite ready for her, but she was still on life support for three weeks. Although I could have put my blog on hold, I decided that between the hospital stays with my mom, as well as her well being afterwards, I needed to focus on my family, so one day, while sitting in the waiting room in ICU, I hit the delete button on my iPhone and never looked back. One year later, Life in the Lowcountry was born.

10. If you could give one piece of blogging advice, what would it be?

Don't worry about the # of followers you have. Blog for yourself. Blog for the readers that you do have. Too often I have seen blogs that I absolutely adored, get a main stream of followers, and suddenly their blogs transform into something different, and to me it's not real. Would I like thousands of followers? Of course I would. At the end of the day I'm blogging for me though...
and you should too!

//

Here are 10 random facts:

1 - My feet were burned so badly in a fire when I was 3, they never thought I'd have feet, believe it or not, my feet look like everyone elses...my mom and dad had preachers come and pray over my feet and to this day, I know that is why I'm walking and can get pedicures like everyone else :)

2 - The entire time I was pregnant I just knew I was having a boy. I wanted a little girl, but knew within my heart I was having a boy. I thought I was having a son so much that I started buying boy clothes, to my surprise, I had to trade them in for pink...hallelujah!

3 - I hate tomato's, hate them!

4 - I've met Jake Owen, twice.

5 - I'd secretly love to go back to the time of flip phones, I still miss my old (bubblegum pink)Razr phone to this day!

6 - I can never turn down sweets, ever. I always eat dessert, even if it's cinnamon toast at the end of the meal, I just have a major sweet tooth. Tarl knows I'd rather have an edible arrangement, then a dozen roses.

7 - New York, California and Paris are on my list of places to see. One day I may just get out a loan and go...seriously!

8 - I love good surprises.

9 - I've always wanted to be a teacher, I just haven't gotten there yet.

10 - I'm about to start a separate blog for food and travel. It's something I'm very passionate about. Anytime we travel, food and local attractions, that not many people may know about, are something I adore to do. You know, the spots that the locals go to that tourists know nothing about...I'll keep y'all posted!

Here are the blogs I nominate for the Liebster award:


Here are your questions ladies (I may or may not steal some Qs from Lauren):

1 - Where have you traveled, and which was your favorite place?
2 - What is biggest hurdle you've ever had to overcome?
3 - Who is your best friend and how did you meet?
4 - If you could give one piece of blogging advice, what would it be?
5 - Have you ever met a celebrity? If so, do tell!
6 - What is your #1 pet peeve?
7 - Scariest moment in your life?
8  - Are you where you thought you'd be in your life? Explain.
9 - What is the one thing you can't live without? (Item, not family member)
10 - Your all time favorite memory...get creative!

xo










1 comment

  1. I love your facts! I hate tomatoes too! And so glad you have feet ;)

    ReplyDelete

I love reading all your comments just make sure that you are not a no-reply blogger so I can respond!

Life in the Lowcountry ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © Revel and Design - Powered by Blogger