To describe our growing up in the lowcountry of South Carolina, I would have to take you to the marsh on a spring day, flush the great blue heron from its silent occupation, scatter marsh hens as we sink to our knees in mud, open an oyster with a pocketknife and feed it to you from the shell and say, 'There. That taste. That's the taste of my childhood.' - Pat Conroy

April 16, 2013

...and i said, jake, of course



 
Meet the newest member of our family, Jake.
 

 
 
After eight loyal and loving years, our beloved lab, Max, passed away on Christmas Eve this past year. He was such an amazing dog and had his own personality and spirit. He followed princess every where, never left her side. He warned us if something was in the yard that wasn't supposed to be, whether someone else, another dog, snake, etc. He was a hunter with daddy, a playmate to princess, and he let me vent to him about anything. People may call me crazy, and I know he had no clue what I was saying, but none-the-less he would stay by my side until I was done ranting, or crying, or whatever it may have been. No dog will ever be able to take the place of Max, but we knew in our hearts that we would always get another lab.
 
As soon as I saw the pics online of these precious puppies, I told the hubs we had to go and see them. As soon as we saw this red colored, chunkier than the rest, fluff ball lab puppy I was sold. My heart melted and in front of the sellers I started to tear up. They thought I was insane I'm sure, but all the memories of Max overwhelmed me in that moment and I knew this pup was the one. I cried the entire way home as I held this new puppy in my arms. They weren't sad tears, but happy ones, in that moment I knew no other dog in the world was right for our family, but the one I was holding.
 
The hubby and I have been together for 11 years and we have seen a lot of pets, mostly dogs, come and go. Some have passed, some have ran off, some we have given to others or sold due to the fact of our living arrangements at the time (i.e. apartment that doesn't allow pets). No dog has made a connection with me so quickly, as our new lab yesterday, and
I know it had everything to do with Max.
 
The hubs asked me on the ride home, "what should we name him?"
 I said, Jake, of course, after Mr. Owen :)
 
He's amazing. We are all head over heels in love.
 
xo
 
 
 
 


No comments

Post a Comment

I love reading all your comments just make sure that you are not a no-reply blogger so I can respond!

Life in the Lowcountry ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © Revel and Design - Powered by Blogger