To describe our growing up in the lowcountry of South Carolina, I would have to take you to the marsh on a spring day, flush the great blue heron from its silent occupation, scatter marsh hens as we sink to our knees in mud, open an oyster with a pocketknife and feed it to you from the shell and say, 'There. That taste. That's the taste of my childhood.' - Pat Conroy

September 6, 2013

Blogtember {Scared}



This finishes up the first week of Blogtember! Today you are supposed to share the time that you were most afraid. Unfortunately I have had quite a few of these in my life, so I am going to share them with you in as short of a post as I can. Luckily, these all of these instances turned out OK.
Let's start from the oldest to the most recent...
I was 7 and sitting on mom and dads front porch on a hot summer day eating my watermelon dad had just cut open for me to indulge in. No shoes, ratty hair pulled back in a pony tail, watermelon dripping from my mouth and sticky fingers, I feel something grab me from behind as quickly as possible and shove me into my dads truck, it was my mom. The next thing I know my dad, mom, and I are going as fast as possible through town. My brother had been in a terrible accident while swimming with a bunch of friends in one of his friends, dads, pond.
Being a typical teenager my brother had swung from a tractor, tied with a rope/bucket, and instead of letting go, came back and hit the tractor ridges with full force, fell lifeless and hit a big concrete pipe below. His leg was hanging on by his main artery. Lifestar flew in and after months of rehabilitation his leg was recovered and he is now walking again. He still has a massive scar, but the Good Lord was watching out for him that day.
It was the Christmas I had just turned 13. I got exactly what I wanted that year, a go cart. My nephew, who was 5 at the time was riding shotgun beside me. I hit this huge bump in our yard and looked over to see my nephew had fallen out of the go cart, turns out my nephew was that huge bump! I never saw exactly what happened, but he must have fell out and I ran him over, it literally happened within seconds and that is the only recollection I have. I remember him laying on the ground, screaming. At the time I was face to face with him, but when I picked him up to run him inside to my parents, it's when I saw the back of his head pouring blood. My mom, dad and I rushed him the local ER, and he had to have 18 stitches put in.
My little baby girl had just turned two months old to the date. The husband got called out to Kentucky on an ice storm so it was me, a brand new mom, all by herself. Luckily my mom came and stayed with me on the days that she didn't have to work. I remember mom rocking the princess after just getting finished with a bottle, and I just took my shoes off to get into the shower, when the princess started shaking violently in my moms arms. I grabbed her and within seconds she was turning as white as a sheet of paper, not blue, although I knew she was choking.
I remember I stayed calm, I told mom to call 911. My mom was scared out of her mind and was in a state of shock, so I grabbed the phone from her hand and was speaking to the dispatcher as she was explaining things for me to try. Within minutes the ambulance arrived and before my baby girl passed out, she took a deep breath of air and just started crying, as soon as she did, I went hysterical. After moments of holding it all in, I lost it. Turned out she was diagnosed with Sandifer's Syndrome Acid Reflux, which is where instead of spitting up the food she eats, or formula, it gets stuck in her throat, thus choking her. We dealt with this until she was a year old, but none were quite as bad as it was in that moment. My husband drove all night long until he made it home to be with his girls.
The most recent happened here at work. My boss had left early one day and it was late afternoon. There are two doors, one at the entrance and one out the back. My office is smack dab in the center. We have a showroom here, where you can come in and look at products, but you cannot purchase, everything has to be ordered. A man came in, scraggly beard, pants down to his knees, and I just knew he wasn't hear to purchase anything. He walked up to my desk and asked about one of the items we have here in our office. I explained it to him as it is still my job to assist people, and I'm not one to judge based on his appearance, what if he was searching for something and really was in the market to purchase what we have to offer? Within minutes I got a very uneasy feeling. After idle conversation he told me I was a beautiful girl. *red flag* I politely told him thank you, and asked if there was anything else I could assist him with. He ignored my question and then asked if there was anyone else in the office *major red flag* Instead of freaking out, I thought in my head of what to do. My phone is the type of phone where you can dial the number, but until you push send, it will not call. My phone is shielded from walk-ins because it's beside me on my desk, so I dialed 911, but did not push send, I was just getting ready. At the same time I did that, I told him that my boss had walked next door, and that he would be back any minute to help him. This was a lie, but he said no, that I had done enough, and left. I breathed such a sigh of relief, and as soon as he walked out, I locked both doors. It wasn't time to leave work yet, but my boss is completely understandable and after I told him he couldn't blame me one bit. From now on I come to work prepared, if you get my drift! #2ndAmmendment


1 comment

  1. I remember the first time my son choked on something I got hysterical almost instantly. Thankfully my mom was there to calm me down and help me with my son.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading all your comments just make sure that you are not a no-reply blogger so I can respond!

Life in the Lowcountry ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © Revel and Design - Powered by Blogger