To describe our growing up in the lowcountry of South Carolina, I would have to take you to the marsh on a spring day, flush the great blue heron from its silent occupation, scatter marsh hens as we sink to our knees in mud, open an oyster with a pocketknife and feed it to you from the shell and say, 'There. That taste. That's the taste of my childhood.' - Pat Conroy

September 19, 2013

Decorations and Ranting



Yesterday I went to the Dollar Store, where everything is $1 or less and purchased a bunch of Halloween goodies. I love the Holidays, so decorating early is not an issue for me. I get that Halloween is still 1 1/2 months away, but I don't care. I have a 4 year old who loves it just as much, and these spooky little treats put a smile on her face!












I got everything you see above from Dollar Tree, except for the Mason Jar, which we had at home, the witch painting which I did myself, the glass pumpkin jar, which my mother gave to me, and the skeleton wax warmer, which I purchased from Yankee Candle.

The wax warmer is amazing and one of the best purchases I have ever made. It literally fills the entire house with whatever wax you have placed inside. Our current scent is "Halloween", also purchased from Yankee Candle. Right now if you purchase 5 wax scents ($2 each) you get the skeleton wax warmer for $10! That is a steal because normally the wax warmer itself is $25.

*****

Normally I don't post bitch rants, but it is my blog, so I'm going to go ahead and vent it out here. Within the past month I have noticed certain blogs that have over 500 followers. I assume they think that since they have a certain # of people who read their blog, they no longer feel the need to communicate with people who are just starting out. I've noticed certain bloggers who comment and socialize with fellow bloggers who have a high number of followers as well. Basically if you're not pushing 1,000+ you're nothing...let me tell you. I comment on blogs when the post touches me to do so. Whether it's because the post is funny, silly, sad, or for whatever reason. I am blogging to look back years from now to see pictures, feelings, memories and also to make new friends out here in this big ole blog world. Sometimes I feel though that even fellow bloggers, especially those who have a well known blog, could care less about us who are just starting out, and it's a damn shame.

I blog for me, so I'm going to keep doing what I do. I'm not going to change me or post something I wouldn't normally post to gain more followers. You either love me or leave me, it's that simple.
I don't have money to buy outrageous purchases like the new Louis Vuitton bag or those gorgeous Manolo's...trust me I sure wish I did, but I don't, so don't expect to see that here. I love buying nice makeup from the Mac counter, but that's a splurge that I don't do often, because I'd rather spend my hard earned money on a new outfit, not makeup. Don't get me wrong, if you have it, spend it. You only live once and I would do the same thing, I just don't have that luxury,
and I'm OK with that, because I have all the essentials I need.
My family, their health, my health, food, a home and their love.

I'm not going to name names, but the other day a gal with over 4k followers emailed me regarding a question I had wrote on one of her blog posts. We talked via email for over an hour and she was so genuine and down to earth. A gal with a little over 1k followers who I had replied to via a blog post, never replied back, and it was a sincere question about a purchase she had posted about. I then commented to her via Instagram, again, no response. I thought surely she just hadn't seen it yet, but someone else had commented about the same purchase (after my comment) and wouldn't you know she responded to her instead...and the person whom she responded to was another blogger with a high amount of followers. #ohwell #overit

Maybe I'm over exaggerating, because Lord knows I've been known to do that, however, where I come from you talk to others when they talk to you. I have to remind myself daily that not everyone was raised the same way I was, and there's nothing wrong with that. It takes all kinds to make this big ole world spin around.

Posted with love...

P.S. Maybe I'm just PMSing...you know how that can be ;)






15 comments

  1. I 100% agree with your rant!! It's crazy how "cliques" even translate into blogging! What I don't understand is there was a time where they started out too. I understand you may not be able to respond to 100+ comments but look through and if there is a question, answer it. Geez people. I so sweetly refer to those people as blog bitches lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting...blog bitches...love that! But yes, that is what gets to me, they once started out too! xo

      Delete
  2. We have the same glass pumpkin jar and it's one of my favourite fall decorations!

    As a new-ish blogger I so often feel like I'm outside the circle of the popular blogs! I understand that if you're getting 1000s of comments each day you can't respond to each one individually but it's nice to feel welcomed to read a blog no matter how many people are reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I semi-stole it from my mom last year and she finally caved and let me have it (lol!) But for anyone looking to purchase they have similar at Walmart for next to nothing.

      Girl, no worries, I know I'm outside the blogging circle and it doesn't bother me in the least. I want my blog to grow for who I am, not because of the purchases I make! :)

      Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  3. I laughed out loud at your PS. :)
    This makes me sad because I have totally not decorated at all for Halloween or Fall. What's my deal??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IDK but you need to get on that - love decorating! :)

      Delete
  4. I love all your halloween finds! I can't believe it is almost that time of year again...it's crazy how fast time goes by.

    Lauren,
    http://atouchofsoutherngrace.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amen sista! I find that so frustrating and downright mean! I saw one girl post that she would only work with/help bloggers who had over 500 followers, and she only had 500 herself! I made a promise to myself that if my blog ever gets big I'll make a point to promote and befriend small blogs. We all started somewhere, and even though we want our blogs to benefit from our interactions, I also want other people to benefit from interacting with me!

    Also, I was already planning a dollar tree run tomorrow, so I might have to pick up that towel! Too cute :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! And yes Dollar stores are amaze!!

      Delete
  6. I love your Halloween decorations! And Amen sister on your rant! I've encountered a couple people like that and it is so frustrating. I don't care how many followers I may have now or in the future, I always have and always will respond to everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your decorations and I am so glad I found your blog.

    I completely agree with you so thank you for posting!!! The purpose of blogging (to me) is to share stories, ideas, make new friends and document memories. It shouldn't matter if you communicate with someone who has 1 follower or 1000 followers.

    Can't wait to follow along!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry you are frustrated. I just went and signed up to be a follower of your blog. I am a blog lurker and rarely comment but like reading your blog. I don't really blog myself just because of those reasons as I would get all wrapped up on everything and I just can't let myself do that at this point in my life. I do have a personal family blog I have kept the past 5 years for my kids. I also print it out once a year as a book so they will have it forever.

    Anyways, keep on doing what you are doing as I am sure there are t
    More people
    Ike me who love reading your blog but rarely comment. :) by the way, I also don't comment because I read blogs on my iPad and HATE typing on it. It is so difficult that I avoid it, except this time. Ha ha.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading all your comments just make sure that you are not a no-reply blogger so I can respond!

Life in the Lowcountry ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © Revel and Design - Powered by Blogger