To describe our growing up in the lowcountry of South Carolina, I would have to take you to the marsh on a spring day, flush the great blue heron from its silent occupation, scatter marsh hens as we sink to our knees in mud, open an oyster with a pocketknife and feed it to you from the shell and say, 'There. That taste. That's the taste of my childhood.' - Pat Conroy

September 18, 2013

Dear Cadence


button
Dear Cadence,
You are truly the sunshine in my life. You brighten my soul with that precious smile each morning, by sneaking in our bed, that you have so effortlessly crawled into within the night, to get right in my face while I sleep at 7am, touch my nose with yours and whisper good morning mom.
As tired as I am, and as many times as I have hit that snooze button, there is no wake up call greater than yours. You are only 4, and I'm not rushing your life away, but you were born to be a momma. You already have that mentality with your cat, Hector. He is your, as you call it, "baby-darling". You snuggle with him at night. When he lays on the floor trying to sleep you assume he has a belly ache so you rub his belly. You pick him up after he drinks from his water bowl to burp him, and when he is in the mood to play, you assume he has an attitude and put him in the corner.
You give your dad and myself so many good laughs on a daily basis, even when you're not trying to be funny. You think throwing everything in your toy box constitutes a clean room. You think eating an apple with pizza makes it a healthy meal. Apple Juice is like crack to you, and according to you, I make the best apple juice ever, when all I'm doing is mixing it with water and pouring it into your Princess cup.
Luckily, you have my taste in clothes, and even as a child, you know what does and does not match. This is a blessing in disguise because your father has the worst taste in clothes. Trying to pair your leopard print tights with your blue and pink polka dot shirt...you and I both agree'd that was a no-no!
Like most children you cry, even if the boo-boo didn't hurt, it hurt your pride, thus the tears. Like most children, you go back and do it again, did you not learn your lesson the first time?
You make friends easily and I hope this is a gift that follows you always.
I love you forever my sweet precious girl!
Mom

2 comments

  1. This is so sweet! I love the description of her with the cat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apple juice is crack! LOL

    ReplyDelete

I love reading all your comments just make sure that you are not a no-reply blogger so I can respond!

Life in the Lowcountry ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © Revel and Design - Powered by Blogger