To describe our growing up in the lowcountry of South Carolina, I would have to take you to the marsh on a spring day, flush the great blue heron from its silent occupation, scatter marsh hens as we sink to our knees in mud, open an oyster with a pocketknife and feed it to you from the shell and say, 'There. That taste. That's the taste of my childhood.' - Pat Conroy

September 11, 2013

Where were you?


It was an unusually chilly September morning. I was 14 and getting home schooled that year, however, my grandfather (who has now passed away) was in town, so mom gave me a break that day.
Lots of hugs and spending time with family, Granddaddy sipping his coffee, laughing with mom, and then an alert came over the T.V. Fourteen years old, worried about petty relationships with my friends and my then "boyfriend". Looking back on it now, older and wiser, you realize what is important in life.
My brother and his wife were set to go to Pennsylvania later on that day to visit her aunt. Obviously their trip was cancelled, and praise God they weren't on any of those flights!
My family gathered as we watched those towers fill with smoke and fire. Through the TV you could hear the sirens and fear in peoples voices, even reporters.
President Bush said it so perfectly, when he said that "Our country is strong...terrorists attacks can shake the foundations of our biggest buildings, but they cannot touch the foundation of America."
I have and always will be a support for President Bush. I know that certain people have their opinions on how he handled the situation, and that is their opinion which they have the right to. I too have a right to my own beliefs and thoughts, and I believe that he did the best he could in that situation.
I don't want to turn this into a huge political post, and I won't. I just want to remember the lives that were lost on that day. Fathers, Mothers, Sisters, Brothers, Aunts, Uncles, Friends and Neighbors. Loved ones from all walks of life, whether they were up in those towers, in the planes, walking along those Manhattan streets, the Pentagon, that field in Pennsylvania, any one who lost their lives on that September day.
I have never seen this commercial. It was floating around FaceBook this morning, and although it is under a minute, I have cried uncontrollably watching it. It is such a beautiful message, without any words what-so-ever. I had to share. *mascara alert*





 
Thank you Jesus for blessing me with my beautiful family and friends. The people who love me and the people I love. The ones who are there for me when I need them. I am forever grateful.
 
Let us all be thankful today, and say a prayer today for the families who will forever miss someone due to this tragedy.
 
One Nation Under God!
 
 

2 comments

  1. OMG that video definitely made me cry! I completely agree with you about Bush, no matter what anyone says he was a great President in a terrible time. God Bless America!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I told you, very emotional. I think it's an emotional day for most people anyways, with all the memories. Thanks for commenting :)

      Delete

I love reading all your comments just make sure that you are not a no-reply blogger so I can respond!

Life in the Lowcountry ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © Revel and Design - Powered by Blogger